Monday, December 3, 2012

Sunshine and Roses with a Chance of Drama

Gemma is really becoming her own little person lately.  I've been meaning to post about this for awhile but since it has taken me so long, there are a couple of additional things to say about her.  It's no secret that Joel and I think she is just the sweetest thing ever.  We ask ourselves frequently, "How did we get so luck to have such a happy little gal?"  That is definitely still the case 95% of the time; however, about a month ago, drama started to rear its head.  What, you ask is drama?  Well, where it pertains to Gemma, it's what I call it when she cries with drama because she doesn't get something she wants, or, more likely, something she wants is taken away--not by Cole Reynolds (usually), but by me or Joel.  I have to remind myself that laughing would further entrench the behavior, but it is really funny because she acts as if you have just condemned her to solitary confinement for a year rather than taken away a sharp pointed object for fear that she will hurt herself.  I think it is a preview of what we can expect in about 14 or 15 years when we say "No, I'm sorry, you may not go to that party where there will be boys and alcohol and no parents."

In addition to the chance of drama, Gemma is a crawling, exploring maniac.  If you don't keep your eye on her, she will make a break for it and who knows where you'll find her.  Her independence in getting out of your eyesight has grown in the last week or so, but it makes me think that my little angel is passing yet another milestone.  Soon she'll be packing up the car and moving to college.

Gemma is also fearless in approaching her brother.  Though he has little more use for her these days than he did at last report, if you set Gemma loose, she will crawl right over to her brother and climb on him grabbing his neck or face.  This lasts for about 30 seconds until Cole starts to protest, but it is funny stuff until he does.   Good for her, knowing what she wants and being unafraid to try.  A skill that will serve her well throughout life.

Gemma is also pulling up more and more everyday.  I'd been told she could do it in her crib for a few weeks, but I hadn't seen it.  I'd been told that she could do it on the ottoman, but I hadn't seen it there either.  In the last few days, I've been seeing it everywhere.  You can see the wheels turning in her head and she's thinking about what it would be like to take a step, but we aren't there yet.  Oh, what happened to my baby?!?

Gemma is still sporting just the one tooth.  I think it is finally fully grown at this point.  It makes me smile and warms my heart every time I see it.  Obviously, eventually she will get another tooth, but I sure am enjoying her one tooth grin in the meantime.

No comments: